I LOVE turmeric!!!
I have been using Golden Paste on my fur babies for about the last 3 years…..& they just enjoy it in their dinner each night. My Rotti “Jax”, had occasionally walked like she’s in a bit of pain in her back legs & I really wanted to nip it in the bud before she had real problems. So I started her on the Golden Paste daily…..along with fish oils to ease the inflammation & reduce any pain.
And I truly believe it works. Not only does it help with pain & inflammation….but turmeric also helps the immune system & supports the liver – plus is a fantastic antioxidant. Both of my pups coats are amazing….& they just keep going from strength to strength.
- 1/2C organic turmeric powder
- 1C water (extra if needed)
- 1/3C oil (try coconut, extra virgin olive, or flax/linseed oil)
- 2-3tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 10-20g organic Ceylon Cinnamon (optional to help reduce dogs urine smelling like “cat pee”)
- Bring the turmeric & water to a boil, then lower the heat & simmer until you have a thick paste. This should take about 7-10 minutes & you may need to add additional water along the way.
- Add the freshly ground pepper & oil at the end of cooking, when the turmeric & water mixture has cooled down to just warm. Add in the cinnamon if desired. Stir well to incorporate the oil & allow to cool.
The Golden Paste will keep for 2 weeks, refrigerated.
Freeze a portion if you think you have too much to use within two weeks. You can find small 1/4-1/2tsp molds to use for this if you prefer.
Add it to your pet’s dinner plate or your horse feed … run wild! You can even use for Golden Milk, Smoothies, stir into Yogurt, add to your dinner plate as a condiment… it’s just as good for you too!
Recipe from Doug English (Australian holistic vet & world leader in treating animals with turmeric powder) http://turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste/
This time of year is great to enjoy soup….no matter where you are!!
It’s a great lunch to take to work or school in a thermos….or to enjoy for a nutritious, easy dinner. I’ve made mine in the slow cooker – but you can easily whip it up after work on the stove.
Jam packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid, phosphorous, vitamin C & beta-carotene – it’s easy on digestion, detoxifying & great for circulation!!
- 2tsp oil (I like coconut)
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 3tsp red curry paste (modify for kids)
- 500g gold sweet potato, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 250g pumpkin, skin off & chopped
- 2tsp lemongrass paste (or fresh lemongrass to taste)
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2C coconut/almond milk (‘So Good’ one….or Soy milk if prefer)
- 1/2C coconut milk
- 1.5C water
- Coriander, chopped to serve
- Heat oil in slow-cooker set on ‘high’ (or large saucepan). Add in onion & cook until softens.
- Add in curry paste & cook for 1-2mins till aromatic.
- Add in sweet potato, pumpkin & lemongrass. Pour in 1.5C water & leave in slow-cooker till vegetables are tender (or bring to boil in saucepan, then reduce to simmer for 15-20mins).
- Add in salt, sugar & ‘milks’. Set aside to cool slightly. Blend or process soup in batches, until smooth.
- Return to pan & stir over low heat until heated through. Ladle into bowls & sprinkle the coriander on top. Enjoy!!
These went down well in our house too…NO MEAT – how did he survive??!!
I served leftovers up for breakie the next day….yum!!
- 2 large zucchini, grated then excess water squeezed out
- 200g Haloumi, grated
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- Corn kernels, cut of cob
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2C mint leaves chopped
- 1C plain flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, finely grated & juice
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Baby lettuce leaves
- Basil leaves
- Put zucchini, haloumi, carrot, corn, mint, spring onions, & lemon rind & juice into a large bowl.
- Sift in flour & baking powder. Season with salt & pepper.
- Crack in the eggs & stir to combine thoroughly.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Use 1/4C of mixture per fritter, mould with your hands. Flatten with spatula.
- Cook each fritter 3-4mins each side, or until golden & cooked through.
- Serve with tomato & greens – hot or cold!! 😉